- green light
- noun1. a signal to proceed• Syn: ↑go-ahead2. permission to proceed with a project or to take action-
the gave the green light for construction to begin• Hypernyms: ↑permission
* * *nounEtymology: so called from the color of traffic lights when traffic is allowed to proceed: authority or permission to go ahead with a definite project
got a message to leave town and stay lost until I got the green light to return — Polly Adler
a city that has just given the green light to a program of progress — Wall Street Journal
* * *1. a green-colored traffic light used to signal drivers, pedestrians, etc., that they may proceed.2. authorization; approval; permission: The railroad has been given the green light on the proposed fare increase.
* * *green light noun1. A traffic signal indicating that vehicles may advance2. Permission to go ahead3. Any signal or indication of consent or encouragement, as in get the green light (informal)• • •Main Entry: ↑green
* * *a signal that gives traffic permission to move forwardThesaurus: road and traffic signals and crossingshyponym
* * *green light,1. a green traffic signal which indicates that vehicles or pedestrians may proceed.2. Informal, Figurative. permission to proceed: »
the Mississippi legislature gave the green light to the state to take over and develop any seaport in the state (Wall Street Journal).green light or green-light,transitive verb.to authorize or give permission to proceed: »
Only the board has the power to green light the renovation.
* * *1.n. a green traffic light giving permission to proceed■ figurative permission to go ahead with a project2.
the commission has given the green light for a wind-farm development
* * *nounthe green light: permission to start or continue something (such as a project)
His boss finally gave him the green light [=the go-ahead] to start the new project.
* * *permission for a project, etc. to start or continueSyn: ↑go-ahead
The government has decided togive the green light
to the plan.Example Bank:
The council is expected to give the green light to the move.
The industry must not assume that this ruling means a green light to go on polluting our lakes and rivers.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.